Candidates applying for the B.Des. and GDPD programmes must fulfill the following criteria:
Candidates upto 20 years of age on or before 30 June 2017 are eligible to apply (relaxable
by three years for candidates belonging to reserved category).
Indian nationals applying in the general category and candidates in overseas category
born on or before 30 June 1997 are not eligible.
Indian nationals in reserved category (OBC-NCL, SC, ST & PwD) born on or before 30 June
1994 are not eligible.
Applications for academic year 2017–18 are open to applicants who have passed or will
appear for higher secondary (10+2) qualifying examinations in the academic year 2016–17
from any recognised board of education such as CBSE, IB, ICSE or their equivalent.
Examinations considered equivalent to these are as follows:
- Final examination of the 10+2 system under a central or state board recognised by the
Association of Indian Universities (AIU, see www.aiuweb.org).
- Intermediate or two-year pre-university examination under a board or university
recognised by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU, see www.aiuweb.org).
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National
- Senior secondary school examination under the National Institute of Open Schooling,
with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any public school, board or university examination completed in India or in any foreign
country recognised as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian
Universities (AIU, see www.aiuweb.org).
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination at the Advanced (A) level taken in
London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka.
- High School Certificate Examination from Cambridge University or an International
Baccalaureate diploma from the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- Candidates who have completed final examinations for class XII (or equivalent) outside
India or from a board not specified above should produce a certificate from the
Association of Indian Universities (AIU) confirming that the examination they have passed
is equivalent to the Class XII examination conducted in India.
Overseas Category (Supernumerary candidates):
Foreign citizens—applicants holding citizenship of a country other than the Republic
of India—are eligible to apply under the overseas category, provided they fulfill all the
eligibility criteria mentioned in Sections 4.1 or 4.2 (as applicable).
- Candidates yet to appear for their final qualifying examination are eligible to apply,
provided they produce proof of having acquired the minimum required qualifications at
the time of admission.
- If the results of their class XII or final semester or final year of graduation (as the case
may be) have not been declared by the concerned board or university by the date of
admission, admission will be strictly provisional, subject to the following conditions:
- (i) The candidate must be able to submit the final result of their qualifying degree or
certificate proving their eligibility on or before 31 August 2017, to the Activity Chairperson,
Professional Education Programme.
- (ii) Candidates seeking provisional admission in case they are awaiting their final results
are required to provide proof of having passed all their examinations in all the previous
years/semesters of their qualifying degree.
- (iii) The candidate must also provide the qualifying exam’s date sheet/admit card/Principal’s
certificate as proof of having appeared for their final qualifying exam.
- (iv) Candidates who have appeared for compartment or supplementary examination(s) for
standard XII or have backlogs of any semester/final year of graduation whose results
have not been declared by the time of admission, will be considered for admission as per (i) above.
- Any candidate who has not appeared for their final qualifying exam before the date of
admission will not be eligible for admission.
- Provisional admission will be considered only in cases where the results of the final
semester/year of their qualifying degree have not been declared by the concerned board/
university. In case the result has been declared by the concerned board/university but has
not been declared in a specific case, for any reason, the candidate will not be considered
for provisional admission.
Of the seats available for the M.Des. and B.Des. programmes, 15% supernumerary seats
have been created for overseas applicants. The actual number of seats available under
Overseas category is as follows:
||No. of seats
|Bachelor of Design, NID Ahmedabad
|Master of Design (per specialisation)
- Supernumerary seats under Overseas category are NOT available for GDPD programme at Kurukshetra
- Foreign applicants fall outside the ambit of seats reserved for the OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories.
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) holding an Indian passport are not eligible to apply under the Overseas
category and will have to apply as Indian nationals.
- All candidates applying in the Overseas category for either the M.Des. and B. Des. programme must
appear for their DAT Prelims at Ahmedabad Test Centre, which will be followed immediately by the DAT
Mains. Both DAT Prelims and DAT Mains will be conducted at Ahmedabad. The details of the schedule
will be provided later.
- Admit Cards will be available for download on the NID website (www.admissions.nid.edu) as per the
schedule. It is the responsibility of all candidates to download and print their own Admit Cards.
- Successful candidates will be offered admission to NID based on the final merit list of the Overseas
category, which will be prepared after all the stages of the admission process have been completed.
- To accept the offer of admission, overseas candidates are required to visit the relevant NID campus
in person, as per the schedule. At this time, candidates will be required to produce the following
documents along with their self attested photocopies:
- (i) Self attested copy of the relevant pages of their passport.
- (ii) For M.Des. candidates: Self attested copies of their grade sheets/mark sheets of all semesters
equivalent to SSC (Grade X), HSC (Grade XII) and their degree certificate/provisional certificate/passing
- (iii) For B.Des. candidates: Self attested copies of their grade sheets/mark sheets of SSC (Grade X) and HSC
(Grade XII). Applicants in the process of completing their Grade XII must submit a bonafide certificate
from their school or college.
- (iv) An equivalence certificate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi, which will need
to be obtained prior to admission.
- (v) The applicant will be responsible for obtaining a student visa for the entire duration of the programme
at NID, before the commencement of the programme.
- (vi) If selected candidates do not pay their programme fees or fail to produce all of the required documents,
or if they decline the offer of admission, their candidature will stand cancelled.
- (vii) Seats remaining vacant in the Overseas (supernumerary) category will lapse and will not be transferred
to any other category.
- (viii) Foreign students must note that the language of instruction at NID is English.